Do you want your website to look professional even if you can't hire a high dollar designer? Here are some tips to help make your site look more professional. Note, some website providers place creative restrictions making some changes impossible.
1. Use a clear - easy to read font.
2. Avoid dripping gore fonts, dancing ghosts, and animated tombstones - if you want to be taken as "serious". These are the "plastic pocket protectors" sending an alert...."danger, Para-Geek!!" Run for you lives!.. Of course, if this is your fun, personal pages...go for it!
3. Avoid "busy" and overdark backgrounds - as they tend to compete with the text or text boxes.
4. Aim for bold, clear, well-contrasted titles.
5. Keep images small - as overlarge can be hard for some people with slower systems to load.
6. Strive for a unified "look"in colors and styles.
7. Add statements of responsibility, contact (electronic and snail), and date of last update (so people know how up-to-date your page is and active your group).
8. Providers like "MySpace" and "GeoCities" can be pretty restrictive and humdrum - so if you want more creative control, try other providers such as Freewebs.com or Blogger.com or another free/small fee provider.
--Courtesy of Kevin and Shade at "Byte Marks", 2007. Used with permission.