Tuesday, June 24, 2008

OKLAHOMA PARANORMAL GUIDEBOOK: Labadie Mansion


The legend goes that a man killed his wife and another man, Enos Parsons, in 1935. The facts are that the remains of stone house of some size is found outside of Copan. A gravestone for a Frank Labadie (1860-1935) and a Samantha Labadie (1857-1935) have been found. There is a Frank Labadie listed on the 1920 census as being 19 and born in Arkansas - but none are listed on Heritage Quest census database for 1930 and no Enos Parsons either! In addition, the Oklahoma City papers did not carry any news of such a crime or event and it is supposed that as is usual bad news would travel. The facts are that numerous people have admitted to using the place as a spot to scare girls, party, or do other recreational activities. So - given the fact that older citizens have said the couple died from smoke in a fire - this is probably another sample of what folklorist call "contemporary legends" (i.e., urban myths).
What is needed: Census or official records stating the people were alive in the area in the time period; some official record (newspaper, funeral records, etc.) of the cause of the death of the man and the woman, some record of the existance of Enos Parsons, and some type of proof of haunitng activity via photos, audio, or other evidence.
Here are some sites that repeat the "story":

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that a photo of the actual house? I always heard that the house had been bulldozed.

Anonymous said...

That is the actual house, it is still standing. It has burned twice, but not been bulldozed.

Unknown said...

Got a google map to it? or an address or hell, directions?

Kris said...

There was no "Enos Parsons" in the Labadie House. I live in the Copan area and have been to the house several times. Some strange things have happened, but I think it was our imaginations. My friend and I did research on the Labadie deaths at the Bartlesville Library and found the story in the Microphish. Frank and Susan Labadie died of asphyxiation because there were many fireplaces in the house. There was not adequate ventilation and they died on April 1st. There was no murder. The pillars and parts of the walls still stand, but for the most part the house is gone.

Anonymous said...

i stepped on a damn cat like three feet from the entrance it scared the shit out of us

The Wildwood said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
michael myers said...

my novel that should with some luck be in print by this time next year will shed a new light on the infamous labadie house. The story is based on the legend and my own personal experiences there.

thank you happy halloween

Anonymous said...

I have trying to look for the house for a couple days and the only time I can go is late at night and I need some very easy to read instructions to this house if anyone can give me some super easy directions that would be helpful.

Anonymous said...

I went out there at dusk.. and I will say it was one eerie place. I heard sounds( not apperaring to be animal) and what apperared tbe crying in the distance. I along with the 4 friends that I was with coud not make it to the graves, due to the sounds and smells. To me it smelled like the end of a gun barrel after it was fired, the sounds and feelings I had made me want to cry and run in a panick.

Anonymous said...

The creek down the road is also creapy.. it has huge bolts coming out of it where I was told they used to hang slaves on it ( not sure if it is true but sounded like what would have happened if a slave didnt follow instruction) Not to mention the bridge wasn't in the best shape and I just WILL NOT go back out there at night..I wish a creditable paranormal group would go investigate it and figure out what is there..

Unknown said...

I wonder why the 1929 telephone directory shows their address as 516 Wyandotte in Bartlesville...Hmmm.

anthony trickett from P.O.K.E said...

well im apart of P.O.K.E paranormal and would love to check it out if anyone can give me the information you can find me at anthonytrickett@yahoo.com im going to be doing it at night so I can get the full experience I have read of flashlights stop working screams in the distance animals being left in random places and when you leave car troubles but nothing new to me

Liberty said...

How do you get to the Labadie Mansion? Me and my friends have been there 3 times already trying to find the place. We are going tomorrow. Any easy directions? How long it should take to get to the house from the grave site? That was the only thing we found.